The home theater system has undergone a revolution of epic proportions since the 1950s when playing home movies became popular due to the affordability of the Kodak 8mm film projector equipment. A home theater system is a home entertainment audio-visual system that seeks to reproduce a movie cinema experience. A ‘’wireless’’ home theater system is a home theater system with wireless speakers or a system that incorporates wireless home networking.
The wireless connectivity options for a home theater system include; ‘’wireless’’ surround speakers, ‘’wireless’’ subwoofers, a Bluetooth connection, airplay from Apple, Mira cast mirroring, Wi-Fi and wireless networking or a power line and home plug. Though dubbed wireless a wireless connection is not completely free of any wires. To produce the audio signal that is wirelessly transmitted to you, the speaker has to be physically attached to a power source and an amplifier. Although the long wires that connect the speakers, or even a subwoofer, to a home receiver are eliminated, the speaker still needs to be connected to its power source.
A wireless home theater system can be set-up by buying the different components separately from different manufacturers or by buying a Home Theater in a Box package which consolidates all the components from a single manufacturer. This does not typically include a television/projector. Buying an HTIB system is not only less expensive than buying the individual components separately, but it’s also a good option for you if you are not well versed with the different component specifications and their compatibility with other components. If, however, you are a guru with sound systems, separate components may help you achieve improved audio and video quality and better matching between the components and your set-up room.
How Do I set up a Wireless Home Theater System That Suits me?
Different home theater systems suit different people depending on various factors including how much you want to spend on it and where you want to set it up (indoors or outdoors, the room size)
1. The Sit-up Room
The room properties are vital to get maximum satisfaction from your wireless home theater system. The size of the room is core in choosing the size of the video display device i.e. TV or projector. Hard floors can result in uneven bass and unwanted echoes while carpeted floors will absorb unwanted audio effects.
Do you need to use acoustic treatments to tame vibrations in the room? All these are factors that you need to give serious consideration before picking your home cinema room? Of course, you also need to look into comfortable seats for your home theater room with remote holders
2. The Video Display Device
HTIB systems do not typically come with a television/projector. Even with the discontinuation of plasma TVs, you still have a large selection of televisions to incorporate in your home theater system. You can get a 4k (4000) TV which will offer 4 times the resolution of 1080p or you can get a smart device that connects you to your home network and allows you to stream shows from Netflix, Hulu or other sites.
3. The Home Theater Components
A typical home cinema includes the following components;
I) Video and audio input devices
One or more source devices are needed. The principal source device will be some sort of movie player where high-resolution movie media formats like Blu-ray are preferred. While Blu-ray will provide great 1080p resolution, the Ultra HD Blu-ray s the way to go if you want high-resolution audio formats that will make the most of your surround system.
ii) Audio and video processing devices
Input signals are processed by either an AV receiver or a pre-amplifier and sound processor for complex surround sound formats from where it is forwarded to the output stage.
iii) Audio output
The system consists of a stereo amplifier and speakers (loudspeakers and subwoofers) for stereo and surrounds sound. The subwoofer speaker amplifies low-frequency effects from movie soundtracks and reproduces the deep pitches from the musical soundtrack.
iv) Connecting cables and remote
Connecting cables and a controlling system are key to making sure you can operate your home theater system. Investing in a universal remote is wise if you want to avoid the trouble of using multiple remotes to control the system.
The 9 best home theater systems with wireless speakers
The enveloping audio is what makes the home theater system memorable and exciting. The most basic surround system consists of 5.1 channels where the 5 stands for speakers in the front left, center, front right, and rear left positions and the 1 stands for a subwoofer.
You can also use multiple subwoofers to deliver a smoother bass response. The soundbar incorporates multiple speaker channels into a single speaker bar that mounts above or below your TV. It works great for people with small rooms or those who want to upgrade the quality of their TV speakers.
You could also choose to go for a seven-channel speaker system. Here is a comprehensive list of the 9 best home theater systems with wireless speakers.
1. Polk audio t-series 5 channel home theater bundle
- MASSIVE SOUND FROM 15 SPEAKERS – Each bookshelf features a...
- All speakers, including the sub, are equipped with POLK’S...
- Polk speakers are COMPATIBLE WITH MOST HOME THEATER AV...
The Polk audio T series is an affordable home theater system consisting of the 2 T 50 towers, the T 30 center channel speaker, 2 T 15 bookshelf speakers and a 100-watt powered subwoofer. The T 50 towers are full-range speakers with a frequency response that covers 38Hz to 24kHz.
All speakers including the subwoofer are built with proprietary dynamic balance technology so that every listener in the room hears 3D surround sound with great bass. The speakers are also compatible with most home theater AV receivers and subwoofers giving you many setup options.
- Highly affordable price
- Comes with mounting brackets for easy mounting
- Well-built speakers and subwoofers
- Clips are small and hard to open
2. Yyamaha yht-495ou ultra hd 5.1 – channel home theater system
- Your purchase includes: 1 AV receiver, 5 speakers, 1...
- Dimensions: AV Receiver – 17” W x 6” H x 12” D |...
- Technical specs: HDMI – 4 | Standby Power Consumption –...
This is an HTIB 5.1 system with an AV receiver, 5 speakers, a subwoofer and a speaker wire with Bluetooth streaming for all your favorite music. The AV receiver in this package delivers 4k transmission at 60fpsand supports HDR 10. The Yamaha Parametric room Acoustics Optimizer analyzes the room acoustics and adjusts the audio to provide the best sound for your room.
The system has Yamaha MusicCast technology that gives access to the most popular music streaming services over Wi-Fi, including but not limited to Spotify, Apple Music via airplay and Pandora. It also offers voice support from Siri and googles voice assistants.
- 4 HDMI inputs
- Good quality sound
- Not very loud
3. Sony bdve3100 5.1 channel home theater system
- Power Output : 1000W Total (RMS): Center 250W, Surround...
- Built-in Wi-Fi: Stream Netflix, HuluPlus, Pandora & more
- Full HD 1080p: Upscale standard DVDs to near HD quality,...
The Sony BDVE3100 5.1 channel home theatre system with a total power output of 1000W from all the devices with a full range bass reflex speaker system and a 7.1-inch subwoofer. The system has built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth provisions to enable wireless connectivity enabling you to stream from Netflix, HuluPlus, Pandora and more of your favorite sites and stream from Bluetooth devices.
USB devices can also be easily connected through the USB ports. With this system you are not limited to DVD only as it supports 3D Blu-ray discs, regular Blu-ray discs, any DVDs and music CDs. The Dolby TrueHD and DTS- HDMaster Audio modes reproduce high definition, discrete sound for uncompromised quality.
The I/P noise reduction for the Blu-ray disc drive eliminates playback noise and protects the system from dust and other debris for a better watching experience.
- Easy to set-up
- Shuts off automatically to save money
- Great value for money
- Poor sound consistency
4. 4k HDR support, 2.1 channel, built-in subwoofers
- FIRE TV EDITION: Nebula Soundbar – Fire TV Edition brings...
- BIG SOUND: A 2.1 channel design immerses you in moment by...
- 4K HDR SUPPORT: Enjoy breathtaking picture quality with...
This system comes with a Nebula soundbar, a power cord, a remote control, AAA batteries, HDMI cable, RCA to 3.5mm cable, digital optical cable, screws, wall mount brackets, quick start guide. The nebula soundbar- fire TV edition combines a 2.1 channel soundbar with a built-in 4K streaming media player to bring you a great cinematic experience without you needing any additional Fire TV streaming device.
The picture quality is amazing with access to 4K Ultra HD streaming at up to 60fps, Dolby Vision, HDR and HDR10+. You will need a 4K TV to access 4K streaming though. With the Fire TV, you have a great variety of TV shows and music that you can stream from all your favorite sites. The soundbar can be controlled with Alexa using the included voice remote which is compatible with TV functions like power, volume and navigation.
- Built-in Fire TV video streaming
- HDMI, RCA and optical cable included
- Needs a 4K TV to access 4K streaming
5. Rockville hts56 1000w 5.1 channel home theater system
- 5.1 Channel 1000-Watts Peak Power. 500-Watts Program Power....
- 8" Subwoofer with Built-In Receiver. 1x 3" Center Channel...
- Built-In FM Receiver with Amazing Reception. Digital...
The complete home theater system consists of two full-range 3” front speakers, two full-range 3” rear speakers, a center speaker and an 8” subwoofer with 100-watt peak power. It has a built-in FM receiver with amazing reception. The volume of each speaker and the subwoofer can be controlled independently.
The system also supports SD input, max of 16GB, 5 RCA audio outputs, 6 RCA DVD audio inputs, FM antenna input and a full-function remote. Unlike conventional 5.1 1channel systems, whenever you play music using Bluetooth you can listen to music using any source and all 5 speakers will play together.
- Supports SD input
- All 5 speakers play together when streaming via Bluetooth
- Has a lot of wires
6. Enclave audio cinehome hd 5.1 wireless audio home theater system
- ELIMINATES THE NEED FOR AUDIO/VIDEO RECEIVER OR SPEAKER...
- CUSTOM DESIGNED AND TUNED HD AUDIO WiSA SPEAKERS: Listen to...
- DOLBY DIGITAL AND DTS: Delivers an intense, cinema-like...
The enclave Cinehome HD comes with 5 speakers, a powered subwoofer, 6 AC power supplies with cords1 HDMI cable, a remote control, user manual and warranty documentation. Each speaker has its inbuilt amplifier and except the center channel speaker, each has a built-in wireless receiver though they all have detachable power supplies that must be plugged into an AC outlet.
The center channel speaker acts as the smart center of the system with 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output, ARC input, digital optical audio input and 1 analog stereo. The system allows for direct wireless streaming from smartphones and tablets through Bluetooth.
- Easy to set up with a well-illustrated manual
- HDMI video pass-through is provided
- No noticeable lip-synch problems
- Good overall sound quality
- No Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio recording
- A bit more expensive than other equivalent systems
7. Channel wireless bluetooth amplifier
- NOTE : PD3000BT is just an upgraded version of the PD3000BA
- 3000 WATT POWER: The Pyle 4 Channel Pre Amplifier is perfect...
- BLUETOOTH COMPATIBLE: The professional integrated indoor...
The Pyle 4 channel preamplifier gives you 3000W peak power to be used for multi speakers. It has Bluetooth compatibility to enable wireless music streaming from a connected Bluetooth device including smartphones, tablets and computers. It comes loaded with audio playback features including a front-loading CD/DVD player, AM/FM radio, USB SD flash memory readers, remote control and 2 0.25” microphone inputs.
- SD flash memory readers
- Great streaming from connected Bluetooth devices
- Needs accompanying speakers before you turn the volume all the way up
8. TV soundbar with subwoofer
- 2.1 CHANNEL IMMERSIVE SOUND EXPERIENCE - 120W Sound bar...
- BLUETOOTH 5.0, THE SUPERB SOUND QUALITY - Our newest sound...
- FOUR DIFFERENT SOUND MODE - Music, Movie, News & 3D mode...
This soundbar offers improved quality of sound compared to your TV alone and is among the best soundbars under $200. Its Bluetooth 5.0 & DSP technology ensures faster transmission speeds, stable connectivity, and smooth transmission.
It has four different modes that can be adjusted by using the included remote. This device allows for wired connections including HDMI, ARC, USB flash drive and AUX input. With its sleek design, this device will fit seamlessly into your entertainment home.
- No distortion at low volume
- The soundbar goes to sleep after 10 mins to save power
- 12-month warranty
- DSP limits deep bass
9. JBL 5.1 ultra hd 5.1 channel soundbar
- JBL 5.1 surround sound with 510W of power
- Detachable, battery-powered wireless surround speakers
- Thrilling bass from a 10" (250mm) wireless subwoofer
Known for some of the best-wired sports headphones, JBL has a soundbar 5.1 which features 2 detachable battery-powered wireless surround speakers with a 10-hour playtime, 510W of total power, a 10” wireless subwoofer and 3 HDMI inputs to connect 4K devices.
The soundbar allows you to switch between the sound from your TV and the Bluetooth device and with Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, and DTS everything you listen to will sound incredible.
- Powerful bass
- 2.1 detachable into a 5.1 surround option
- Wireless rear speakers (battery-powered)
- It lacks a quiet listening performance
Today, a home theater system is available to almost anyone depending on your budget and other personal preferences, and with live streaming; going to the cinema to fully enjoy a movie is a thing of the distant past. Getting an immersive viewing and listening cinema experience in your home has never been easier!