An electric bike is a two-wheeled vehicle that has a motor to assist in pedaling. The bike operates in a way that when you start pedaling when on, the motor adds some efforts in the cycling process. You will find that even riding up mountains becomes very easy with the bicycles due to the mini more energy required. It is possible to find an electric bike under 500 although more complex electric bikes can cost more. Some electric bicycles look like real motorbikes and have more comfort than ordinary electric bikes and require no pedaling.
Motor powered bikes may get power from a rechargeable battery or a gasoline engine. Whichever the source of energy, there must be a motor to rotate the chain. Gasoline bikes are more reliable since you only need to fill the fuel tank with enough fuel for your journey. Electric bikes using a rechargeable battery might be unreliable since the battery might run low in the middle of your trip. Furthermore, the battery life span is short, although it can last for around 2-4 years when maintained well.
The best electric bike under 1000 has a lithium battery. A lithium battery is an improvement of the lead-acid battery and is known to hold on power for a long time. Furthermore, lithium batteries are light and will be very necessary for a bike to avoid additional weight. Lithium batteries are 80% lighter as compared to lead-acid batteries. Maintenance costs are also low. Although that’s good, a lithium battery will not last for long if not well maintained. Charge it regularly and disconnect when not in use.
How can I prolong the life of an electric bike’s battery?
The trick to prolonging your battery is practicing good charging behaviors. The following are tips to help you stay with your battery for long.
- Ensure that you charge a new electric bike battery for twelve hours continuously before using it. The long charging helps ensure that the battery power flows through the cells since they are right from the factory.
- Avoid exposing the battery to high temperatures when charging, riding, or storing. High temperatures degrade the charge of a battery. Furthermore, it may shorten the lifetime of the cell.
- Practice regular charging of the battery. Do not only charge when the battery is dead. You can recharge anytime to ensure that the battery has adequate charge. Mostly, charge your battery when 30%- 60% full. You thus need to use the bike regularly for regular charging.
- Do not overcharge an electric bike’s battery. It may create a poor charging behavior due to discharging and charging, which may render your battery less effective.
- Never store an empty battery. Charge it to a certain percentage, let’s say 60%, and it will serve you as long as possible.
Which are the best electric bikes under $500?
I have sampled the best electric bikes to help you get the best product ever. Have a look.
1) SWAGTRON Swagcycle EB-5 Lightweight & Aluminum Folding Ebike with Pedals
- YOUR RIDE, YOUR RULES — Go full throttle up to 15 MPH on...
- DESIGN THAT PERFORMS — Premium build. Eye-catching design....
- RIDING IN COMFORT — The height-adjustable seat and...
The bike is foldable. It has carbon steel as the primary material, and you can fold it in seconds for transportation in a car boot or storage. Also, choose from the three riding modes, including pure electric, electric-assisted relaxation mode, and select pedal riding mode.
The different modes are for different road conditions; a smooth road can just require the riding mode. It has a dual brake system for emergency braking. Furthermore, it uses disc braking to prolong your tire lives. Above all, it has a 250-watt high-performance motor.
- It is foldable
- 250-watt high-performance motor
- Disc braking to prolong tire lives
- Three riding modes
- Dual braking system
- May not be suitable for tall adults
2) Razor MX350 Dirt Rocket Electric Motocross Off-road Bike
- Sport type: Scooter
- Brake style: Rear Braking
The Razor MX350 bike is suitable for ages 13 years and above. If you have been looking for a bike to buy for your son or daughter, this can work well. You can ride up to 30 minutes when fully charged, and that can be a long-distance indeed.
The bike uses air-filled tires and needs you to have a pump to add air when necessary. One excellent thing about it is that the rear brakes are hand-operated. It means that you can conveniently break when necessary. The motor is chain driven. It has folding foot pegs for packing.
- Hand-operated rear brakes
- Twist grip throttle
- Air-filled tires for comfort
- Elegant design
- Suitable for adults and teens
- 30 minutes ride may not take you far
3) Razor MX400 Dirt Rocket Ride On 24V Electric Toy Motocross Motorcycle Dirt Bike
- POWERFUL MOTOR: Powered by a 250-watt, high-torque,...
- LONG RANGE BATTERY: Rechargeable 24V (two 12V) sealed...
- SAFETY & COMFORT: The Razor Dirt Rocket MX400 electric...
The fact that the bike can speed up to 14 MPH shows that it can help you reach somewhere faster. However, speed is a bit low compared to ordinary gasoline bikes. It is chain driven and super quiet in its operation.
The e-bike can carry weights of up to 140 pounds. It means that it can even carry an adult person without getting damaged. Moreover, it has an adjustable riser handlebar and a high torque motor with twist grip throttle control. The tires are pneumatic.
- High torque motor
- Super quiet
- Can carry weights of up to 140 pounds
- Adjustable riser handlebar
- Pneumatic tires for comfort
- Speed is a bit low
4) 26″ Electric Folding Mountain Bike
- High Quality Material ---- The electric bicycle adopts 100...
- Ensure Safety ---- 26 inch bead spoke wheels are made of...
- Motor& Transmission System ---- Front and rear disc brakes...
The bike is foldable for easy storage. You can fold and put it in a car boot, or even carry it on another bike. It has a high power battery of 36V. Furthermore, the battery can be removable if you just want to ride without the motor’s assistance.
Furthermore, the bike can run at a speed of 15MPH per single charge. It has 21 gears so that you can switch to the most appropriate gear according to the terrain. The bike also has three working modes: an e-bike, assisted bicycle, and normal bike modes.
- Three working modes
- High power battery
- 21-speed gear
- It is foldable
- Removable battery
- Short distance per charge
5) SwagCycle Pro Folding Electric Bike
- Robust and foldable; the e bike’s sturdy frame can support...
- Extreme torque; tackle speeds up to 18 mph via app...
- Long lasting charge; a single charge lets you traverse up to...
It is unique in that it is app-enabled. You can track your speed, GPS, as well as the distance, rode using the app. It also has a USB port to help you charge your phone on the go. Moreover, it is pedal-free and is only suitable for flat terrain.
The bike is foldable and thus very easy to store. Transport it in your car boot as it can easily fit upon folding. It can run at a speed of 18MPH and, therefore, a bit faster. The charge is also long-lasting as it can go for a distance of 15.5 miles.
- It is foldable
- Has an app to track speed, distance, and location
- USB port for phone charging
- Long-lasting charge
- High speed
- Only suitable for flat terrains
6) SWAGTRON Swag cycle EB5 Series Aluminum Folding E-bike
- Pre-assembled; the electric bike already comes pre-assembled...
- Height adjustable for adults and teens; easily adjust the...
- 14 inch wheels; a pair of air-filled rubber tires with...
The bike has 14-inch wheels with air-filled tires for comfortable riding experience. It is pre-assembled from the factory to save you from complicated assembling. Furthermore, the bike is foldable for easy transport or storage. You can also adjust the height to suit children and adults.
The bike can go for 15.5 miles on a single charge. That’s a bit a long-distance, and it could be a better option to rush you to work over a busy road. The bike supports up to 264 pounds of weight. The charging period varies from 4 to 5 hours.
- The height is adjustable
- It is foldable
- Long-lasting charge
- Comes fully assembled
- Air-filled tires
- Design not attractive
7) 26-inch Electric Bike Mountain E-Bike
- [3 Working Mode Switch]: E-bike & Pedal assist bicycle with...
- [Premium Disc Brake System]: Front and rear mechanical disc...
- [Easy to Assemble & One-Year Warranty]: It's easy to...
If you are an adult, then this bike suits you. The bike has 21 gear speeds to help you change into the most appropriate gear as you ride over different road conditions. It has a 36V lithium battery that is long-lasting. Also, it has three working modes, which include mountain, e-bike, and assisted bicycle. You can select the most appropriate working mode according to the terrain.
The bike has a 36V/8AH li battery that supports 25km/15.5mile for E-Bike Mode, 50km/31mile for Assisted Mode, and riding. The smart lithium battery charger has a fast-charging that takes around 4-6 hrs. It is light since it has an aluminum alloy frame.
- 21 gear speeds
- Powerful lithium battery
- Fast charging battery
- Three working modes
- It is light
- It is not suitable for children
8) Razor EcoSmart Metro Electric Scooter
- SIT AND RIDE – Soft padded seat and wide bamboo deck make...
- SMOOTH HANDLING – Air-filled 16" tires (406 mm) provide a...
- CARGO CARRIER – Tote your groceries, books, or bags with...
The bike is suitable for ages above 16. The scooter is comfortable as you can rest your feet on the bamboo deck as if in a car. It has a maximum speed of 18MPH and approximately 40 minutes of continuous use. However, the bike is not suitable for rainy or extremely wet conditions. Furthermore, it has no pedals, and it entirely relies on the motor for locomotion.
The car requires a maximum user weight of 220 lbs. An average weight person can carry some items at the back as it has a basket mounted at the back for carrying things.
- Suitable for teens and adults
- Durable battery
- Can accommodate large weights
- A basket to carry items
- High speed
- Not suitable for excessively wet conditions
Electric bikes are beautiful vehicles that everyone should embrace. The ones with both the pedals and electric motor are the best since you can engage the motor when tired. You also have the option to do some exercises as you pedal. Electric bikes are also eco-friendly since they do not emit harmful smoke in the environment. The only challenge is that their charges cannot last for long.