As you all know man’s best friend is the dog unless you are a cat lover. Being the man’s friends it deserves proper care and the best possible bed for her to enjoy her beauty sleep. Scientifically it has been proven that dogs spend their day sleeping for 16-20 hours a day. A good bed will ensure they get enough rest and sound sleep to gain enough for the day. If you have an older dog you can agree with me that it might be experiencing some injuries, joint pains and so much more. No need to worry about which bed to pick as you are in the right place. Today I’ll guide you through the ideal dog bed for older dogs.
Getting a comfortable dog bed can make the difference for the living of your dog and that’s what you want your beloved pet. It applies to most of the large dogs such as the Mastiffs they experience complications such as hip and joint problems hence getting them the best extra large dog beds for mastiffs so that they can live healthily and can be close to you. The bed provides plenty of space so that your canine can stretch out instead of opting to sleep on the floor.
Another best option is getting the best orthopedic dog beds for them. The memory foam provides an added layer of padding to reduce any strain on the body. Also, the orthopedic mattress offers ample space and acts as a preventive measure to certain conditions such as arthritis. Though there are various dog beds offered in the market you need to be keen due to the rise of counterfeit goods and false advertisements. In this article, I’ll guide you through the best dog bed for older dogs. Not only have I noted the pros and cons of each bed but also the unique features of each bed. Read ahead.
Do I need to get my older dog a bed?
Yes. You need to get your older dog a comfy bed that she can rest during the night. There are various beds in the market such as the x-large waterproof dog bed which is ideal for dogs who can’t hold their bladder for long. It can help to prevent some health conditions for the dog as at an older age they are prone to them. Read ahead to find out which health conditions it prevents.
Are dog beds good for their health?
Getting your do dog is the ideal option in terms of health. Unlike on the floor, the bed allows the dog to sleep in the position they love. For instance, a dog sleeping while his tummy is exposed allows the dogs to cool off in warm conditions.
It also acts as a preventive measure for various problems an older dog might experience. Some of the health conditions include sore joints, hip pains, arthritis of which if not attended to early can get worse over time.
Which place should you put a dog bed?
The place where you place the dog bed is a very matter you need to consider. First, you need to place the bed where most of the family members are so that your beloved dog feels loved. You need to place the dog bed near the window for a good circulation of air and natural lighting. Also, remember to close the curtains or blinds during the night to prevent your friend’s sleep been disrupted by the morning light.
Top 9 dog beds for older dogs
1. Dogbed4less Memory foam
- WATERPROOF LINER + 2 EXTERNAL COVERS - This bed comes with...
- SUEDE WASHABLE COVER - Comfortable and heavy weight 200 GSM...
- XL 40" x 35" x 4" MEMORY FOAM PAD - Top rated quality extra...
If you are looking for a pocket-friendly dog bed then Dogbed4less is the ideal option. Currently, it has a rating of 4.6 out of five stars with 858 customer ratings. The bed comes with a waterproof internal zipper cover to protect the memory foam.
Also, you get a washable brown color external zipper cover with a free bonus Micro-Suede brown nonslip external case. No need to worry about your dog’s size as the company offers a variety of bed sizes to its customers.
It contains the top-rated quality extra large hypoallergenic high quality 100 percent gel infused. The memory foam is resistant to any temperature changes. Feel free to check out the link below for information.
- Your dog enjoys a luxurious orthopedic comfort
- It is resistant to any temperature changes
- A suede washable cover
- It promotes healthy joints and better sleep
- The inner zipper can’t hold many fluids
2. Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Designed with extra care, your pet's comfort is our...
- Water-resistant liner and human-grade mattress foam, this...
- Bed Size: 36in x 28 in x 9 inch, Huge clearance is perfect...
To start is the Friends Forever dog bed. Currently, it has a rating of 4.7 out of five stars with 2,852 customer ratings hence it is among the best orthopedic dog bed. The cushioned poly-fill bolster provides the dog with exceptional comfort especially for dogs that experience joint pain or arthritis.
It comes with a water-resistant liner and the human-grade mattress foam has undergone various test thus is durable and long-lasting. The huge clearance is perfect for older and large dog breeds as it provides head, hip and bone support.
Lastly, it is easy to clean as it has a removable cover that is durable and it is machine-washable. Check out the link below for more information.
- Easy to clean
- It provides exceptional comfort
- It has a thin bottom layer
3. Big Barker Orthopedic bed
- CALIBRATED FOR BIG DOGS: Available in Large, XL, Giant XXL...
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: University of Pennsylvania study data...
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY: American made therapeutic foam is the best...
Big Barker is among the top companies in the US that produce high-quality mattress foam for its customers. Currently, it has a rating of 4.8 out of five stars with 3, 797 customer ratings thus is a high-quality product and you will love the features that it offers.
No need to worry anymore about changing the mattress anytime soon as the Big Barker is built to last for as long as ten years without losing its uniquely supportive power.
The mattress foam construction envelops tense joints in the buttery comfort foam that’s used in the outer layer while the middle provides support and block pressure points. Check out the link below for information.
- Unrivaled support
- Durable covers
- Easy to clean
- Temperature resistant
- It doesn’t have outgassing
- The cover can tear off
4. Happy Hounds Oscar Dog Bed
- Reversible design allows for longer use
- Heavy -duty microfiber fabric reverses to soft sherpa panel
- Water Resistant
Another affordable dog bed, if you are on a tight budget, is the Happy Hounds. It is a high-quality dog bed as it has a rating of 4.2 out of five stars with 758 customer ratings. It has a durable foam fill that offers more support for older dogs, those with arthritis or joint pains.
Being among the best dog bed for older dogs, it has a reversible design as the dog can either enjoy the velvety softness or the luxurious soft Sherpa panel on the other. The cover is easy to clean and its hefty zipper stays concealed with fabric to prevent unnecessary chewing. Feel free to check out the link below for information.
- Reversible design
- It has boxed, corded edges
- A hidden zipper closure
- Easy to clean
- It doesn’t have a headrest
5. K&H Deluxe Ortho Bolster Pet bed
- Made with soft, plush, velvety, printed microsuede for...
- Overfilled bolsters surround in comfort
- Plush medical grade orthopedic foam
Currently, it has a rating of 4.5 out of five stars with 233 customer ratings thus it is a high-quality product. It is made with soft, plush, velvety, printed microsuede for extreme comfort. Also, it has plenty of space so that your dog can stretch around during their sleep.
It has overfilled bolsters that surround the dog while it takes its nap. It acts as a head supporter to prevent the dog from experiencing neck pains. It contains plush medical grade orthopedic foam that will help curb joint pains and provide full-body support. The removable bed cover is easy to clean and you can keep the bed clean all the time.
- Easy wash and care
- Overfilled bolster for head support
- Superior comfort
- It has plush medical grade orthopedic foam
- The covers are removable
- It isn’t waterproof
6. PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS & BETTER HEALTH: (i) SOLID 4 inch MEMORY...
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support &...
- PEACE OF MIND: (i) Certi-PUR-US Memory foam. NO mercury,...
Currently, it has a rating of 4.6 out of five stars with 3,424 customer ratings hence it is a high-quality product you can get for your dog. It comes with solid memory foam with a waterproof liner to protect the investment. It is great for older dogs especially helpful for mature and older dogs who begin to have sore joints and arthritis.
It has a properly filled outer bolster that provides excellent support and opportunities for nesting. The memory foam is water-resistant to significantly slow absorption before reaching the inner liner. Lastly, any breed can enjoy a comfortable sleep all day on the bed. Feel free to check out the link below for more information.
- A stylish cover design
- Compatible with any breed
- Suitable for older dogs
- A generously filled outer bolster
- The bolster isn’t washable
7. Laifug Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
- Comfortable Sleep:Laifug Plush & Suede sofa pet bed features...
- Smart Design:(i) Plush poly-fill bolster provides cozy...
- Dimension:Large 38 x 30 x 9 inch. Ideal for larger size or...
It features a three-bolster design that gives your canine a sofa of her own thus providing your pal the flexibility to doze in a variety of positions. It has a smart design with a plush poly-fill bolster that provides cozy support and the chenille jacquard edge fabric adds a touch of style.
The dog is water and tear-resistant so you don’t need to worry about the dog tearing up the bed. It comes with a non-skid bottom and the bed can blend seamlessly with your home decor. The bed is long-lasting as it retains at least 90% of its shape and support for the next three years. Check out the link below for more information.
- A stylish design
- A non-slip bottom
- It provides exceptional comfort
- It has three pillows
- It isn’t suitable for machine washing
8. Sealy Lux Quad Layer Dog Bed
- QUAD LAYERED: Premium orthopedic dog bed with Quad Layered...
- ORTHOPEDIC SUPPORT: High quality therapeutic bed provides...
- MACHINE WASHABLE: Removable cover is machine washable
Another affordable option that can fit your tight budget is the Sealy Lux Dog Bed. Currently, it has a rating of 4.4 out of five stars with 417 customer ratings thus a high-quality product. The premium orthopedic dog bed has a quad layered foam for ultimate comfort and support.
The therapeutic bed provides support for dogs of all ages and is comfortable for dogs with arthritis, joint or bone problems. It has a removable cover that is machine washable so that it can stay clean all the time. Lastly, it has a pro-chemical base that helps absorb odors keeping the bed smelling fresh. Feel free to check out the link below for more information.
- Machine washable
- A hidden zipper
- A non-slip bottom
- It has a pro-charcoal HD foam base
- The design might not blend in with your home decor
9. Barkbox Memory Foam Dog Cuddler Bed
- High Quality Comfort: The therapeutic gel memory foam...
- Water Repellent and Machine Washable: Easily combat...
- Multiple Sizes: Pick the perfect size for your pup!...
To finish off the list is the Barkbox Memory Foam. Currently, it has a rating of 4.4 out of five stars with 633 customer ratings thus a high-quality dog bed. The therapeutic gel memory foam comforts your dog by relieving body aches, joint pain, hip dysplasia, and arthritis.
You can easily combat any accidents and keep your dog’s bed looking and smelling fresh all day. The waterproof and washable removable cover slides off seamlessly for convenient cleaning. The Barkbox memory comes in a grey which is the perfect neutral, cozy color that can blend in with your home decor. Check out the link below for more information.
- It comes with a free toy for the dog
- It blends in with your home decor
- Machine washable
- It has four bolsters
- The zippers aren’t of good quality
From the article above, I’ve shed light on the best dog bed for older dogs and you can decide on which one to pick. A dog at her older age experience some health issues such as arthritis, joint pains, hip dysplasia, and many others if they aren’t attended to.
The dog beds I have recommended above come with various features that will aid in preventing health issues. I highly recommend you get the beds from Amazon. At Amazon, the bed is safely delivered at your doorstep at a low shipping fee.
Also, you get to enjoy significant discounts on some of the products. I hope I’ve answered your questions and you can choose the best dog bed for your older dog.