Surround sound systems have evolved over recent years. Most surround sound systems come with features like Dolby Atmos, Auto adjustment and so much more. The 7.1 surround sound systems are some of the pioneers when it comes to such sound systems with so much efficiency. With a modern 7.1 surround sound system, you are assured of high-quality sound output with perfect optimization.
Choosing the best sound system is not as easy as many people think. In many cases, there are some overhyped brands that offer good but not best sound systems when compared to some upcoming brands in the market. So, before buying a device, one need to consider some specs like HDR10 support, auto adjustment, Dolby Atmos support, and so many more features.
Surround sound systems under $200 are a great value for money but today we will focus on the best 7.1 surround sound systems. We will review how to choose the best device and the best way to set it up in your home so as to get the best sound efficiency.
The 8 Best 7.1 Surround Sound System Review And Buying Guide
1) Sony ST5000 Dolby Atmos Soundbar
- Experience Dolby Atmos in a 7.1.2ch, 800W sound bar
- Maintain quality from source to screen with 4K HDR support...
- Enjoy the rich, detail of Hi-Res Audio in a stylish design
Sony ST5000 comes with many cool features but the noticeable one is the Dolby Atmos. This feature delivers a stunning 360⁰ surround sound no matter how the speaker is placed within your environment. The sound system supports 4K quality directly from the source to screen with a 4k HDR signal pass-through which is also compatible with an HDCP 2.2 copy protection.
ST5000 features a soundbar that can relay full-resolution sound which includes the latest immersive audio formats like the DTS: X and Dolby Atmos. The coaxial speakers entail a woofer and tweeter that work together to deliver aligned audio across frequencies.
Multi-room listening is also available and you can set it up using the sony music center App. It also has Chromecast-built in and supports Spotify connect.
- Multi-room is quite impressive
- Uses Dolby Atmos
- Offers wireless audio streaming
- 4K HDR is supported
- Lacks a vertical surround engine
2) Sony STR-DN1080 7.2-ch Surround Sound Home Theater
- CINEMATIC SOUND AT HOME: Enjoy your favorite TV shows &...
- PHANTOM SURROUND SETTING: Experience 7 channel surround...
- ADVANCED AUDIO: DTS: X object based surrounds sound adapts...
The STR-DN1080 offers many cool features that ensure you get high sound output in your home. The device is best regarded for home theater systems with wireless speakers and due to perks like Dolby TrueHD and 6 HD inputs. It supports a total of1155W power input that ensures you get enough power to power up the system.
It has a well-connected system of 6 HD inputs in which 4 are HDMI with 3D pass-through that allows you to connect a 3D Blu-ray Disc Player, cable box, or any other device that supports 3D video games.
The STR-DN1080 offers a cinematic sound that is engineered by Sony’s intimate knowledge of movie sound production. It comes with BRAVIA widget control and Sync Capability.
- Has 3D pass-through capability
- 6 HD inputs supported
- Dolby TrueHD is available
- Offers HD digital cinema sound
- HD codecs are not well optimized
3) Nakamichi Shockwave
- Transform your living room into a state-of-the-art movie...
- Experience a whole new level of surround performance with...
- TWO 2-WAY REAR SPEAKERS (industry's first!) produce spacious...
Nakamichi is one of the well-known brands in the sound industry and for this device; it has a 4.5-star rating of more than 1500 people on Amazon. The device has a true 360 Dolby Atmos surround flowing throughout the room.
It comes packed with the SSE technology that features 3 advanced audio processing engines that work together to ensure you get fine details of your audio. It has a Two-way rear speaker that is constructed with a Tweeter which provides high frequencies with stunning clarity.
This unit also comes packed with Dolby Atmos via TV’s eARC when streaming with TV’s smart Apps.
- Comes with 4K UHD pass-thru
- Supports HDMI ARC that can connect 6 devices
- Offers True 360 Dolby Atmos
- Easy to set-up
- Total Loudness can have distortion
4) Fluance Elite series
- 7.1 Speaker System - Expertly timbre matched 7 speaker...
- Three-Way Floorstanding Towers - High frequency tweeters,...
- Dynamic Surrounds - Remarkable reproduction of the finest...
If you are looking for the best soundbar for Samsung TV, then this is the right option for you. The sound system offers a powerful 10″ subwoofer that will give the perfect sound intended to be dispersed by the artist. It comes with three-way floor-standing towers that have high-frequency tweeters.
The subwoofer comes with an enclosure to suppress distortion and provide accurate sound output. The device offers a powerful cinematic experience with its bass that ensures the movies or music you are watching is of high quality.
Dynamic surrounds help in the reproduction of fine and elite surrounds that have broad frequency response and minimal distortion. The design of the Fluance Elite series is quite stunning. It comes with a classic wood-grain finish and an MDF engineered wood cabinet that ensures a natural distortion-free sound. It has a 1-year warranty through the money-back guarantee that is not specified by the manufacturer.
- Friendly user interface v
- Stunning design
- Low distortion
- Easy to set-up
- Unreliable packaging
5) Yamaha 7.2 -Channel Wireless Bluetooth 4K 3D
- Yamaha 7.2-Channel Wireless Bluetooth 4K Network A/V Wi-Fi...
- Klipsch 2-Way Floor-Standing Speakers (Pair) + Klipsch...
- Klipsch 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker (Pair)
This device comes with a stunning design and cool specs. Inside the box are a sound receiver and a multimedia Home theater speaker system that entails amazing speakers to deliver high sound output. It comes with a 4K Ultra HD Upscaling and Pass-Through and includes a stunning HDMI with 3D and Audio Return Channel.
The device also supports 6 x HDMI-In/1 x HDMI-out. You also get support for 2 x optical TOSLINK digital input that ensures you get high clarity sound to the connected devices. The sony Blu-Ray disk player supports 4K ultra HD Blu-Ray and 3D playback plus Bluetooth wireless audio.
- Has a 2-way speaker design
- 340W peak power is amazing
- Supports 3D playback
- Has a 2-way bass-reflex design
- Lacks Dolby Atmos’ support
6) Denon AVR-S750H
- UNPRECEDENTED REALISM AND NEW FEATURES – eARC and...
- MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR NEW 4K ULTRA HD TV with this 7.2...
- Extend the reach of your music to any room in the house via...
The Denon surround system is another great value for your money with the support of features like eARC, 3D Dolby surrounds and so much more. It also works with Alexa if you wish to buy the Alexa home device. The Dolby Atmos height virtualization technology and eARC ensure you get high sound output despite any height in which you are in.
The device also supports HDR10 which is part of the 4K ULTRA HD TV that the sound system supports. Color-sampling is quite stunning and you get amazing brightness and contrast whether you are gaming or watching a movie.
It has on-screen set-up assistance that helps you customize the device to your liking. The device supports AUDYSSEY Suite that dynamically optimizes all the speakers for better listening quality.
- Supports Dolby Atmos
- HDR10 is available
- Supports full voice control
- Inhouse WI-FI is supported
- Bluetooth connectivity is slow
7) Sony STR-DH790 7.2 sound system
- Cinematic Sound at Home: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV...
- BREATHTAKING AUDIO: Dolby Atmos and DTS: X delivers...
- BREATHTAKING AUDIO: Dolby Atmos and DTS:X deliver...
Despite it not being the best soundbar with a built-in subwoofer, this is a great option to consider if you are looking to get a wireless surround sound system. You can buy the device with Banana [plugs or wire and Plug included. It offers stunning cinematic sound at home so that you enjoy your favorite movies and TV shows easily.
The device has a virtual FRONT surround that offers a virtual acoustic field using only 1 pair of speakers. The 4K quality is quite stunning and has support for Dolby Vision and HDR10 plus the Hybrid Log Gamma provides better color, brightness, and contrast. Auto calibration helps in the simple adjustment of sound for every room.
- Has a low profile design
- Auto calibration is well optimized
- It offers smarter connectivity
- 4K quality is amazing
- The pure direct function is unreliable
8) Polk Audio MagniFi Mini Home theater
- SMALL SIZE, BIG SOUND - Packed in its compact design is a...
- EXPERIENCE IMMERSIVE SURROUND SOUND WITH POLK's PATENTED SDA...
- Polk's exclusive Voice Adjust Technology even lets you...
If you are looking for the best devices with a minimalistic touch but offers great value, then this is the right option for you. Polk Audio is sold in two tiers: A single and soundbar plus a Toslink cable 6 feet. Inside the package is a stunning collection of tweeters and drivers that produce amazing sound quality.
The device comes with an exclusive voice adjust technology that allows you to control voice levels from sound clarity, to voice delays and muzzled sounds. You also get independent modes that can be reliable if you wish to switch from sports, movies, or music. The surround sound system supports GOOGLE CAST straight from your smartphone or any compatible device.
- Easy to set-up
- Compatible with Google Home App
- Voice adjustment technology is amazing
- Compatible with any home set-up v
- Does not support PlayFI
How to choose the best 7.1 surround sound system?
Consider the following tips when choosing the best surround sound system:
i) HDMI support
All modern sound systems support HDMI so make sure before you buy the device it has HDMI ports. In most cases, sound systems have 4 HDMI input ports which make it easy to alternate between devices.
ii) Dolby Atmos support
Though it may not be necessary, Dolby Atmos support ensures you get high sound quality no matter the height of your building or where you may be situated. However, some speakers may have other technologies that resemble this feature.
iii) Speed of connectivity
If you love using wireless connectivity especially via Bluetooth, the connectivity should be fast and also not consume too much power on your side while listening to music using a phone. You can choose a well-optimized sound system by reading reviews about the product
iv) Auto calibration
This feature is not quite necessary but if you find yourself getting annoyed on having to switch modes when you want to watch something different, then this feature may be a must-have. It will be displayed on the specs sheet of the sound system.
Getting the best 7.1 surround sound system is quite simple since almost every manufacturer has upped their game in creating these sound systems. However, before buying the device, make sure it has a warranty that can prove reliable in case the device turns out faulty.
Luckily, all the devices listed here have a warranty. In conclusion, take the time to make the right decision when choosing the surround sound system.